Thursday, September 1, 2011

now for something completely different


Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia)
                           (click to enlarge)
You just never know what you may encounter in the garden.  This morning I noticed what I thought was the beginnings of a wasp nest above the patio door, so I dutifully brought the broom with the intention of knocking it down.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was clearly not a nest but rather a very large moth of just over 2 inches in length.  After taking several pictures, I set upon trying to find this critter’s name.  After several passes through Caterpillars of Eastern North America by David Wagner (which also includes the moth/butterfly adult pics), I discovered it is a Hypercompe scribonia or Giant Leopard Moth.  Moths generally fly at night, and we just don’t notice them.  This one, though lethargic in the daylight, was impossible to miss.  One that does fly in the daytime is the Hemaris thysbe or Hummingbird Moth which is sometimes confused with either a Bumble Bee or hummingbird.  Moth caterpillars are usually quite dramatic, and I’ve had a couple of large ones (3 inches long) recently, including the ones shown below.  Maybe I’ll get pics of the moth later.  Be sure to look around your garden, and you, too, may find something completely different!
Hummingbird Moth (Hemaris thysbe)
(click to enlarge)

Tersa Sphinx (Xylophanes tersa)
(click to enlarge)

Tobacco Hornworm/Carolina Sphinx (Manduca sexta)
(click to enlarge)

1 comment: