Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice is one of my favorite days of the entire year.  Surprised?  Well, it's not so much the actual "day" as it is what the day represents.  From this point forward the days will begin to be longer and longer--spring is just around the corner.  Well maybe that's a slight overstatement, but it always helps to dream.  I looked around the garden today and reminded myself that even in winter, there are some sturdy plants which are growing.  Others have retreated to their subterranean winter home.  As a bonus there are even a few blossoms (pansies).  This winter I have many of my small tender perennials snugly tucked into a small greenhouse on the patio; the larger ones have taken residence in the garage.  On warm, sunny days I raise the garage door so that they can bask in the sun's rays.  On cue my Christmas cactus (although protected indoors) is producing beautiful fuchsia blooms, and the fennel is spreading its feathery wings in defiance of the cold.  The multiple varieties of kale also enjoy the chill.  One of my surprises is the Ornamental Catmint which is still beautifully green as is the Mexican Hat.  Even the Pipevine continues to grow alongside the Japanese Holly Fern and other hardy ferns.  The Sorrel and Arugula also enjoy the frosty evenings.  So welcome Winter Solstice! 

the bashful Pansy brings color and joy to my day
(click each to enlarge)

Artemisia

Fennel

Frilly Kale

Tassel Fern

Pansy

Holly Fern

Kale

Christmas Cactus
Pipevine
Sorrel

2 comments:

  1. A blessed Christmas to you both! No snow on the ground in Chicago for a change, but 25 degrees this morning, with a barren, sleeping garden.

    My son told me many times that Texas wasn't all that bad, and I should consider moving down some time. Your winter garden shows me the error of my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the hit of summer in this snowy part of the world. Love the kale pics. especially.

    I've been checking in on your hubby's posts for awhile now.... Happy New Year to you both.

    ReplyDelete