Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Queen Butterflies

I’m always on the lookout for butterflies and recently spied a couple of Queen Butterflies mating.   With milkweed being the host plant on which the female Queen deposits her eggs, I began to closely watch my milkweed plants.  Happily I found several eggs which then hatched a couple of days later.  Knowing that the eggs and caterpillars are predation for wasps, I removed the caterpillars and placed them on milkweed in a pot which I protected in the house.   As in the children’s book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the tiny caterpillars ate and ate the milkweed leaves and quickly became full grown.   After about a week the caterpillars pupated, and I now have about 15 beautiful green jewels (chrysalis of the Queen--see above) in which the metamorphosis is happening.  I expect a flutter of new Queen butterflies soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chrysalis rivals the beauty of the sarcophagus of an Egyptian pharaoh, and, unlike the pharaoh, the caterpillar builds her own chrysalis.

    ReplyDelete